Did you know that the total retail and food service sales in the US in 2014 alone amounted to 5.27 trillion dollars*? The food manufacturing industry is the largest manufacturing sector in the US and employs millions of people. If you are interested in a career, here is what you ought to know about jobs in the food industry:
- There’s more to the food industry that what meets the eye. Unfortunately, not many know about this. From cereal scientists and food biotechnologists to quality assurance managers and food technicians, there are plenty of opportunities.
- Don’t even think about food industry careers if you do not have a passion for food. From farming to food waste recycling- every single aspect of the industry needs a love for food.
- Internship helps a lot. An apprenticeship is probably the best way to start your career and gain industry experience. You might be offered limited opportunities in the initial stages, but don’t be discouraged. And if you are good at what you do, they may offer fulltime employment as well.
- References from your professors help more than you think: Unlike other industries, references from other food professionals are respected by employers.
- The learning never stops. Certifications HACCP and BRC help professionals establish their credentials.
Looking for jobs in the food industry? Contact us…